Saturday 29 September 2012

Milo Cupcakes with Condensed Milk Icing

These cupcakes are so lovely. Lovely is actually an understatement...these milo cupcakes are amazingly AWESOME! It's chewy, soft, crunchy on the outside and full of milo-ey goodness. How could you not love these cupcakes if you love milo to begin with? Milo is one of the things that defined my childhood and I still drink it to this very day. In my household, we pronounce it as 'My-lor' instead of 'My-low' and I like calling it 'my-lor' :)


Thanks to Steph who came up with this lovely creation...I mean awesome creation. I even had the
simplest pleasure and excitement of scooping out from the milo tin to add to the mixture, and I definitely added more milo than what was stated in the recipe. I personally find that adding at least 50g more of milo brings out more of the milo-ey goodness.

This brings me back to the memories of the first time when I made these milo cupcakes. I filled up them in ramekins and because I put in a bit too much, the mixture overflowed and dripped out in the oven. So in the end, it looked pretty ugly although it was still edible.

I love these owl cupcake bases that I've used. I couldn't resist them when I first saw them in the shops and I thought that this was no better time to use them. Look how cute and adorable they are.


I halved the amount for condensed milk icing as I had a hunch that I'll have a lot of leftovers if I
stuck to the original recipe. I also went a bit freestyle in making it given that I always use less icing sugar stated in the recipe. Halving the amount is unable to fill up all the cupcakes but it does leave options wide to those just prefer eating cupcakes plain by itself, just like my mother. I used a mixture of the owl cupcake base, patty cake bases and standard cupcake bases...as I feel like having petits within my choices for once. I found the milo cupcakes much more adorable in the patty cake bases compared to the standard cupcake bases.

Lastly, I would like to take this oppurtunity to wish my cousin-sister a Happy Birthday! We may be miles apart from each other but I wish you all the best :)

Milo Cupcakes with Condensed Milk Icing

(adapted from raspberri cupcakes)

200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
170g unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
100g Milo (add more to taste if you wish)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used Imitation Vanilla)
180g sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Fill cupcake tray with liners.

2. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarb into a bowl and set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.

3. Add sour cream, milo and vanilla and beat until just combined.

4. At low speed, beat in the flour mixture until just completely mixed. Fill the cupcake liners until 3/4 full and bake for approx. 15-20 minutes; until the skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the oven for a minute then let it cool onto a wire rack.

*If using a food processor, add in all the ingredients mentioned above and pulse until the mixture is combined and smooth.


Condensed Milk Icing
150g slightly salted butter, softened (I combined salted butter with unsalted butter)
300g icing sugar, sifted
5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy and then beat in the icing sugar. Add condensed milk and beat until combined. Pipe or spoon over on top of the cooled cupcakes and serve. Drizzle some extra condensed milk and finish with sprinkling some milo on top if it pleases you.

No comments:

Post a Comment